Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Fowl Story

True story: Last winter I ran across a Facebook post by my friend, and UPS driver, Mark Lopez: "With all the pheasants on 5 Mile Prairie I thought if I ever hit a bird it would be one of those. Today as I was blasting down Johannsen Rd... someone's CHICKEN flew out in front of me and WHAM!!!"





Partly true story: I was able to interview one of the chickens and wrote this brief news blurb...for no one in particular. Well, ok, I knew that Mark would laugh.






BROWN DOWNS WANDERING FOWL

A chicken ran afoul of a UPS truck on a stretch 
of Johannsen Road on the once mostly rural 
5 Mile Prairie. She has been identified as long-
time resident Hatty Henly and was pronounced 
decidedly dead at the scene.

Coop-mate, Fiona Feathers, recounts details of 
the accident (silly, high-pitched British accent), 
"We all told her not to do it. But she's always 
been a little flighty. So off she goes with nary a 
look to the right or the left. Next thing we know 
there's a blur of brown and a pitiful squawk and 
a thud! Crackers! She never saw what hit her! 
Poor thing!"

The investigation has shown that UPS driver, 
Mark Lopez, had no warning of her advance 
onto the roadway. She'd been partially hidden 
by brush before she made a break for the other 
side. Back at the coop friends and relatives are 
coping as well as can be expected. All still 
support free-range and hope that others will 
take instruction from this unfortunate incident. 
But the question still remains, "Why did the 
chicken cross the road?"

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, it could have happened that way, right? ;) Thanks, Heather!

      Delete
  2. I totally know the "silly, high-pitched British accent" voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?!! Reminds me of Chicken Run. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Danette. Hope to start my serious...or semi-serious...blog soon. You've been a wonderful encourager. Love you!

      Delete
  4. Oh Bernadette, you crack me up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

This is going to be a lot more fun if you share your comments...even if they're just "rolling my eyes" or "you're ridiculous." So go for it...and check back for a reply. Thanks a latte!